Thursday, May 10, 2012

Top 5 Questions to Ask YOURSELF Before Hiring A Wedding Planner

There are so many questions that you can ask a wedding planner before hiring.  Have you ever thought about the questions you should ask YOURSELF before you hire a wedding planner.  Here is what I think!

5.  Do I believe that this planner has the same aesthetic and taste as I in food, decor, music, photography, and everything else that going into planning a wedding?
I say this as something to ask yourself as everyone has a certain level of taste. With that level of taste they have a selection of vendors that they are going to bring you too and on some level those vendors are going to have similar styles, tastes, ideals, and ways of execution as the planner.  Every planner has strategic partnerships with other vendors and normally, those vendors have the same skill sets, price points, and level of experience as the planner.  A good planner will have a variety of vendors in different price point and aesthetic categories that they should be able to share with you.

Wedding Stylized at Harold Washington Library

4.  Does the philosophy of the planner aline with the type of wedding I want to have?
Every planner has a reason for doing what they do!  Some planners love the details and the creative ends of building a wedding, some are more focused in logistics and numbers, some have a balance in both.  I know that we me, I do what I do because I love it!  In that, it comes through my planning experience of being able to be creative but also have the ability to think about budget and logistics when it comes to planning.  

Deborah Weisenhaus with Art of Imagination photographed with Anthony 

3.  Do I  have any reservations or concerns about going forward? 
I can tell sometimes when something just does not feel right.  It's my gut telling me that something is not right about something.  It could be hiring a contractor, purchasing an outfit, or even sometimes which route to take to work!  Trust your instincts.  If you have any reservations over hiring a planner, meet with someone else to either prove it to yourself or prove yourself wrong!


Desiree Dent with Dejanee Events & Anthony smiling for the cameras!


2.  Is this planner someone who is known through the wedding community and am I comfortable with the level of service and expertise of this planner?
There are so many wedding planners out there!  How do you choose one?  There are some who are seasoned, medium, and rare when it comes to experience!  I would ask what is the comfort level of working with someone to little or no experience or someone who is experienced?  Remember, I had little experience when I started, but I did have the expertise of working in hospitality for 7 years before I started Liven It Up.  The flip side is someone with too much experience might be comfortable with planning the same wedding over and over and over and looses the nuance of being creative and reinventing themselves as well as the events that they plan.  Do you want someone who is new to the scene, someone who has been doing this for a long time, or someone in the middle of the road.  My only advice, just make sure that the person is known by some of the wedding community!  At least this way you know that they are legit! 

 Some of the planning team for one of TLC's Four Weddings!

1.  Outside of everything else, do I like this person as a person?  
On the day of the wedding, your planner is going to be with you for most of the day.  From getting ready, to getting you down the aisle, to pulling you around the reception, telling you what to do, hopefully is a kind and fun way!  Outside of everything else, do you like the planner as a person?  Would you want to go cocktailing with the planner after the wedding?  Would this be someone you would make friends with?  This is SO important that outside of everything else, that  you LIKE your wedding planner as a person!  Trust me, the bond is so important and with a strong bond, the experience will be more enjoyable!

 Anthony doing his thing!

Watch for more Top 5 Questions to Ask Deejays, Photographers, Florists & Other Wedding Vendors in Upcoming Blogs!   Visit www.livenitup.com for more information!

No comments:

There was an error in this gadget